PZU Group intends to take adventage of potential of the Polish health care market, which its current value exceeds PLN 100 billion. In 2014, for this purpose PZU Group has began the systematic acquisition of the successive entities.
Health care market
The Polish health care market holds great growth potential. Its current value (including drugs sales) exceeds PLN 100 billion, including NFZ (Polish National Health Fund) expenditures exceeding PLN 70 billion and remaining private expenditures estimated at over PLN 30 billion.
PZU Zdrowie started operations on 9th January 2015. This company is intended to serve as the platform for the development of health care services under PZU Group.
Considering the above, PZU Group made the decision to intensify the operations oriented towards real presence on the health care market. The development will include successive acquisitions of health care centres. The systematic acquisition of the successive entities, which began in 2014, will increase the scope of the realised benefits.
Activity of the companies (health care)
The chain of PZU Group’s health care centres offers the following:
- health care for the local population of Płock, Włocławek, and cities of Upper Silesia in scope of NFZ contracts covering general health care and ambulatory special care;
- health care in company clinics for employees of Tauron Group and PKN Orlen Group (mainly chemical plants, power plants, heat and power plants, and mines);
- services in scope of additional health care packages for employees of Tauron Group and PKN Orlen Group and corporate and individual clients in Płock, Włocławek, and cities of Upper Silesia;
- sanatorium and rehabilitation services in Ciechocinek and Ustroń.
Mergers of PZU Group’s entities in the health care field
The changes to the capital structure of PZU Group made in 2014 and until the release of this report listed below aimed to realise the strategy to build a network of health care centres and health insurance:
- On 8th April 2014, PZU FIZ AN BIS 2 purchased 100% of the shares in Centrum Medyczne Medica (CM Medica) from PKN Orlen. CM Medica holds 98.58% shares of Sanatorium Uzdrowiskowe “Krystynka” Sp. z o.o.
- On 8th April 2014, PZU FIZ AN BIS 2 purchased 96.45% of the shares in Specjalistyczna Przychodnia Przemysłowa “Prof-Med” Sp. z o.o. (Prof-Med) from Anwil SA.
- On 1st December 2014, the transaction covering the purchase of 98.82% shares of Przedsiębiorstwo Świadczeń Zdrowotnych i Promocji Zdrowia Elvita – Jaworzno III (“Elvita”) from three subsidiary companies of Tauron Group (Tauron Dystrybucja, Tauron Wytwarzanie, and Tauron Wydobycie) by PZU FIZ AN BIS 2 was closed. Elvita is the owner of 57.0% shares in Przedsiębiorstwo Usług Medycznych Proelmed Sp. z o.o. (“Proelmed”).
The total cost of purchase of the aforementioned companies was PLN 81.5 million and the goodwill recognised in the consolidated financial statements amounted to PLN 29.6 million.
PZU Zdrowie started operations on 9th January 2015.
This company is intended to serve as the platform for the development of health care services under PZU Group. The company was created from the transformation of Ipsilon Bis SA, which had no previous record of operations.